Sunday, January 28, 2007

Richardson makes first campaign stop


Governor Richardson campaigns in Nevada!





From the Reno Gazette-Journal:

Acknowledging the importance of Nevada's role in the 2008 presidential election, New Mexico governor and Democratic hopeful Bill Richardson made Reno his first official campaign stop Saturday since announcing he was creating an exploratory committee.
"I want to be the first candidate for president who has accepted invitations to Nevada's two debates; the first one (Feb. 21) in Carson City and the health care forum in Las Vegas" on March 24, Richardson told a crowd of about 50 supporters at Reno-Tahoe International Airport.
Richardson, who announced his exploratory committee a week ago, is planning a grass-roots campaign and expects to visit all of Nevada's 17 counties.
"I'm not after big-name endorsements, just votes," Richardson said.




From the AP and Yahoo News:

Richardson accepts Nevada forum invites

RENO, Nev. - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson sought to separate himself from a crowded Democratic presidential field as he campaigned Saturday in Nevada.
Richardson became the first Democrat to accept an invitation to appear in two candidate forums in the state — Feb. 21 in Carson City and March 24 in Las Vegas. He also pledged to campaign in all 17 Nevada counties.
"I know I'm the underdog, but I'm going to outwork the other candidates," Richardson told more than 50 supporters who greeted him at Reno-Tahoe International Airport.
"Nevada is going to be a critically important state because of its early caucus. I'm going to campaign very hard, door to door. I'm after voters, not big endorsements," he added.
Richardson pointed out that he's the only Democratic candidate who hails from the West.
"I'm a fellow Westerner," he said. "The main issues today require someone with the background and heart, and I believe I have the best qualifications."
Richardson said he's proud of his heritage but is not running as a Hispanic in a state that is nearly 23 percent Hispanic.
"I think it's a growing population, and I'll fight for every vote," he said.



No comments: